Bold brand packaging design is important whether you’re selling hot sauce or laptops, as you want to stand out on the shelf and in your customers’ mind.
Your product packaging directly impacts the purchasing behaviour of your target market.
The psychology of consumer choice tells us that people evaluate the product, compare it with an alternative, and then come up with a preference before buying.
Full Service list
Where do I start with packaging design?
As with all marketing activities, you start with your business goals in mind.
• Who is your target market? What are their needs, wants, fears, goals, values?
• What is your product?
• Where is your product being sold? What are the practical implications of this in terms of display, tactile influencers, what its competitors look like?
• How can your product stand out from the crowd?
• What will resonate with the target market when it is being picked up?
• What can address the emotional state of the consumer at the point of decision making to ensure your product goes in the trolley and not back on the shelf?
• Are there any legal requirements you need to fulfil such as nutrition information, stamps, barcodes or recycling logos?
• Is your business a member of the Australian Institute of Packaging or the Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation that requires a specific process to follow in packaging design and packaging development?
• Finally, what other layers of packaging will you need and for what purpose? Products often have shelf packaging, an inner layer and outer shipping layer that need to be practical and represent the brand.
All of these things are taken into consideration and a recommendation for packaging is put forward, along with the design of the branded components for you to test first hand.
Once the prototype is refined, we proceed with production that is in line with your timing, budget and triple bottom line needs.
What is the best type of packaging design for my brand?
When it comes to choosing the right packaging approach for your product it really depends on your brand strategy. Whatever you want to communicate about your brand through your packaging we incorporate these criteria into your design:
1. Practicality for the consumer and also for the distribution method.
2. Clear and simple messaging.
3. Honesty and authenticity is truly the most dependable and differentiating brand position.
4. Your packaging must embody and extend your brand. Today’s consumers are looking for real, they want natural. They want to trust and emotionally connect to the products and the brands that they consume.
5. Shelf impact. Consumers fight grocery store attention-deficit disorder with routine and speed. You need to get noticed and your packaging needs to interrupt those shoppers who are on their way to buy the brand they buy week-after-week.
Full Service list
What are the benefits of Packaging design?
Your packaging could become a long term reminder
It’s important to marketers that customers receive their products in undamaged containers so that customers experience the care and consideration companies put into planning the packaging they use to hold and ship products. Poorly packaged products can turn into customer service and public relations problems for companies. Customers perceive products as inferior and lacking quality if they are not packaged appropriately.
Customers are drawn to brands that they identify with, this leads to more time looking at products while making purchasing decisions. Research suggests at least a third of product decision-making is based on packaging, along with personal preferences. The visual presentation of your brand helps attract customers and persuade them to pick up your product, learn what it’s used for and determine if the product will add value to their lives. Packaging design is heavily dependent on the company’s target market. From colour to artwork to shape, everything is considered as companies determine how to tailor it for their ideal consumers.
Businesses rely on product packaging to communicate information. Packaging provides ingredient information, instructions for use, features and benefits. Customer service information also appears on packaging, as a way to give consumers a way to contact companies and provide feedback or ask questions. An open-loop of communication between companies and their consumers helps businesses decide how to market their products, which benefits to highlight and when they need to make changes.
Reinforce your brand
Well-branded products can create an emotional connection that helps build a long-term relationship with the consumer. Branding elements can help consumers instantly recognize products on shelves and in advertising, the branding that appears on product packaging plays a large role in how a product is marketed.
Get your product in the hands of your customers exactly as intended
Product packaging ensures that products are safe when they are shipped to consumers and stores, as well as when they sit on store shelves. Product packaging represents your brand and your promise to deliver a quality experience. Almost 40% of overall consumers would share photos of packaging on social media if the packaging was interesting or gift-like; this is a great opportunity for marketers.
We have decades of experience in building high-quality high-conversion experiences at the point of sale between your customer and your product that meets the needs of your business, brand, corporate memberships and community targets.